Contributor Guidelines – Canadian Rockies Annual
CANADIAN ROCKIES ANNUAL
We are no longer open for queries for written pieces for Vol. 4 of the Canadian Rockies Annual.
Our photography submissions are open from September 15, 2018, until November 1, 2018. See details below!
The Canadian Rockies Annual brings together the best of two genres: the curated appeal of a magazine – featuring a range of styles, article lengths, voices and visuals – and the heft of a book, complete with distraction-free reading and exceptional design.
Each issue takes the reader on a journey through the Canadian Rockies’ cultural landscape, and delves into the dynamic forces that impact our lives in the mountains.
DETAILS: 100 pages, minimal advertising, soft touch cover, perfect bound, full colour on a combination of coated and uncoated paper. Printed in Canada.
Generally, we cover six broad topics:
Wilderness, Adventure, People, Heritage, Science and Environment.
BETA: 350-550 word featurettes
SUMMIT: 1,500-3,000 word features
Topics for either include (but are not limited to):
- profiles of mountain dwellers
- scientific discoveries and new research
- First Nations/Métis heritage and contemporary culture
- op-ed pieces or personal philosophies related to mountain living
- resources and inspiration for outdoor/mountain adventures
- a fresh take on mountain history
- issues and challenges unique to mountain culture
- adventure or expedition stories
Queries Due: July 15, 2018
Material assigned by: August 15, 2018
First drafts due no later than: October 15, 2018 (staggered deadlines)
- Submit your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Don’t know what a query letter is? Check this out.]
- Payment to be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Please indicate if you have ideas for accompanying sidebars, images or other supplemental info.
While we accept submissions year-round, we will not be doing an actual pitch call for photography until September and will not be commissioning photography until early January 2019. In the meantime, start thinking about the following departments for submission!
Images will be considered for Traverse (photo gallery) and other areas of the magazine, such as Table of Contents, Letter from the Editor and Rappel.
- All mountain parks and provincial parks
- Mountain sports (alpine climbing, mountain biking, etc.) and alternative mountain sports
- Detail/Editorial shots around mountain culture, adventure and environment
- Day in the Life (gearing up, morning coffee, waxing skis, etc.)
- Notable first descents/ascents
- Wildlife and nature
- Off-the-beaten-track landscapes
- Black & White
- Life in mountain towns (Banff, Canmore, Lake Louise, Jasper, Field, Golden, Invermere, Fernie, Revelstoke, Crowsnest Pass, etc.)
Official Pitch Call for Photography: September 15, 2018
Photo Submission Deadline: November 1, 2018
- Deadline: November 1, 2018
- File requirements: up to twenty low resolution images (72 dpi)
- File name: “Location_Subject” (e.g. BowGlacierFalls_Climbing)
- Image rights: First North American Rights to Publication
- Upload low-resolution images here.
- Please email email@example.com once your files haves uploaded