RECIPE: CRANBERRY COCONUT
By Meghan J. Ward
Search for “granola bars” on the Internet, and you’ll get about 2.6 million results. Finding a good recipe is like bushwhacking your way through a thick forest, so we’ve done your homework for you with these easy-to-make granola bars that are full of truly healthy ingredients. Stick to the recipe as is or get creative and throw in some of your favourite seeds, nuts and dried fruit.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 3/4 cups rolled oats or gluten-free rolled oats
- 3/4 unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped, unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Prepare an 8-inch square pan by lining it with parchment paper.
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- In a medium saucepan on low-medium heat, mix honey, almond butter, coconut oil, salt, cinnamon and vanilla, stirring continuously until the coconut oil has melted.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to coat the dry mixture thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to your square pan and press it firmly to the edges.
- Press down firmly on the mixture with a spatula.
- Place your pan in the fridge for 1-2 hours, then transfer the parchment to a cutting board and shop into either bite-sized pieces or bars.
Adapted from AmbitiousKitchen.com.
Writer, adventurer, outdoorsy mama and summit cartwheeler. Meghan J. Ward is the editor and co-founder at Crowfoot Media and lives for backcountry getaways.
The views and opinions expressed in the articles on CrowfootMedia.com are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editor, the editorial team or the publishers.