REVIEW: KELTY TRAIL LOGIC TN3 TENT
RATING: 5 /5
By Meghan J. Ward
I’m a sucker for smart gear and, in particular, innovative tent technology. I have never tried any products from Kelty – one of the most established brands in the industry. But when I came across the three-season Trail Logic TN3 ($299.95) with a Stargazing Fly™, I had to give it a try. The easy setup and smaller packing size made this my go-to on backpacking trips this summer. Read on for more great features!
Easy to put up, with colour-coordinated poles and webbing to help you figure out which pole goes where.
This tent is freestanding – my favourite kind. No tripping on guy lines or fiddling with thin cord.
Fully mesh, meaning it packs down really small. For that reason, I consider it a great backpacking tent when you can afford a bit of extra weight (2.49 kg).
The Stargazing Fly™ makes you feel like you’re actually sleeping outside, and it’s nice during the day for keeping things cool or reading ‘outdoors’ without the bugs.
- When dismantled, the poles are reduced down to just 14″ in length, making them easier to pack away in a backpack.
- The whole tent packs away into a cube rather than a conical shape. At first I was skeptical, then I realized this made it easier to pack in a backpack. I kept it centered at the bottom of my pack and the rest of my gear fit nicely around it.
- I’d like to see bigger stuff pockets on the interior. As is, there isn’t much you can put in there.
- It’s rather cozy in this tent with three people, but the vestibules provide ample storage space so that you can leave most gear outside. I was happiest when I was sharing it with just one other person.
- This also comes as a two-person (TN2), for people wanting a smaller tent.
Thanks to Exxel Outdoors for sending this product for review.
Writer, adventurer, outdoorsy mama and summit cartwheeler, Meghan J. Ward is the editor and co-founder at Crowfoot Media and lives for backcountry getaways.
The views and opinions expressed in the articles on CrowfootMedia.com are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editor, the editorial team or the publishers.
Love What You’re Reading?
As independent publishers, we’re dedicated to bringing you reliable and high-quality content you won’t find anywhere else. These creative efforts are fuelled by the generous contributions of readers. Consider stoking the fire with a contribution!